Danish director Lars von Trier barred from Canne Film festival after revealing close association with Nazi and showing sympathy to HitlerThursday, 19 May 2011
The Cannes Film Festival has declared that the Danish film director, Lars von Trier is not desirable at the festival, according to various news reports.
Danish radio reports that Lars von Trier has been excluded from the festival in Cannes. But his film continues in the competition to win the Palme d'Or. They quoted Lars Von Trier's producer, Meta Foldager who produced the film Melancholia as source.
The reason for his expulsion is his statement earlier on Wednesday when at a press conference to talk about his new film "Melancholia", he stated among other things that he was a Nazi.
"I'm a Nazi" and "Hitler did not seem like a good guy, but I understand him," was part of the widely publicized statements.
Lars von Trier's comments attracted the festival yesterday which asked the director for an explanation.
“If I somehow offended someone today with my words at the press conference, I sincerely apologize. I'm not anti-Semite, "said von Trier on Wednesday evening.
Festival management also pointed out that they had "noted" von Trier's apology, but apparently that was not enough for him to stay.
Film festival organizers write in a press release that it "explicitly condemn these comments and explains Lars von Trier, a persona non grata at the festival."
Management further notes that von Trier's statements are "unacceptable, intolerable, and is in direct contrast to the ideals of humanism and generosity that is the essence of the festival."
“Cannes Film Festival gives artists a unique opportunity to show their works, and the Board regrets that this forum has been abused by Lars Von Trier to come with unacceptable and intolerant statements, which stands in contrast to the humanistic ideals and the Cannes festival is for,” said an official communication from the festival.
Zentropa director, Peter Aalbaek said that “Yes, he has been kicked out. I am 100 percent sure that the palms d’or will disappeared after the news conference. Cannes had no choice, they could not risk that he got the palm trees with such statements,” said Peter Aalbaek Jensen to Radio Denmark.
By Scancomark.se Team